From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:10:50
1 On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:53:34 +0100
2 Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > The format restriction hasn't been agreed upon,
4 >
5 > By you. (oh, and your gang.) You're right though, it hasn't been
6 > spammed to the list on more occasions than anyone cares to remember,
7 > nor has it been pushed up to the Council to vote on, when someone
8 > can't convince the rest of the developer community. It just works.
9
10 You are more than welcome to write up your alternative into a formal
11 proposal if you desire.
12
13 > > and doesn't solve the whole problem anyway.
14 >
15 > Only we're not allowed to hear what problem you _think_ exists.
16
17 ... The ones mentioned in GLEP 55. Which you should read.
18
19 > > Go and look at all the ebuilds using MY_PV style hacks. Group these
20 > > into "necessary because upstream are being silly" and "we're only
21 > > doing this because of some utterly arbitrary rules imposed in the
22 > > early days of Gentoo". Most are in the second camp.
23 > >
24 > Please elucidate the use-case, and how the versions cannot be
25 > represented within Gentoo, or within the expanded def'n[2] as you
26 > were asked to do.
27
28 Examples are given in GLEP 55. Which you should read.
29
30 > If you're concerned about stupid BASH, perhaps you could direct your
31 > energy towards better BASH scripting, and not relying on an eclass to
32 > do what #bash beginners learn in their first two weeks.
33
34 Had you looked at the tree before versionator came along, you would
35 know why versionator was by far the lesser of two evils...
36
37 > >> In passing, I must express bewildered amusement at the idea of a
38 > >> format with an unlimited amount of extensions.
39 > >
40 > > Not what's being proposed. We're proposing giving each format its
41 > > own file extension.
42 > >
43 > No, you're trying to hijack .ebuild. Even
44 > cat-foo/blah-version--EAPI.ebuild would be better than this nonsense.
45
46 And you will note that GLEP 55 includes an alternative for people who
47 think that .ebuild-X is bad but .something.X.eb is fine.
48
49 > If you want to do a radically new format, go ahead; no-one's stopping
50 > you or holding your work back in any way. The same cannot be said for
51 > your continued antics.
52
53 No, I want good, incremental improvement.
54
55 > Oh yeah, .exheres hasn't quite got the same cachet as .ebuild. No
56 > satisfaction in it, unlike getting Gentoo to 'submit'.
57
58 As you have been told several times before, Exherbo has entirely
59 different goals, and I don't consider it to be a replacement for
60 Gentoo. Please stop your pathetic attempts at trolling.
61
62 > I still haven't seen a version that cannot be handled within the
63 > Gentoo schema (and I note you were remarkably silent on suggestions
64 > that were put to you[2], as you always are if they didn't come from
65 > paludis.) If you're arguing no human input should be required, I
66 > think you have a misunderstanding of the user-base.
67
68 You still haven't read GLEP 55?
69
70 > Some of us prefer to know that a human has both tried the ebuild out,
71 > and gone through repoman. And that that person takes pride in their
72 > name on the commit, and stands by the principle of "you broke it, you
73 > fix it."
74 >
75 > It's called a distribution, not "ciara's collection of stuff scraped
76 > from a webservice."
77
78 What does this have to do with anything? It's entirely unrelated to the
79 matter at hand.
82 Ciaran McCreesh