From: Nils Freydank <holgersson@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ideas for gentoostats implementation
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 14:34:34
1 Hi all,
2
3 I find the idea of having data great, but agree that it can lead to a false
4 sense of having a correct data base. Therefor two thoughts:
5
6 First, therefore I'd like to propose that you introduce gentoostats as a
7 *strictly timed experiment* and evaluate if it actually changed anything within
8 your decisions and drop it or let run permanently afterwards.
9
10 I have no proper solution for the parameters though, maybe something like
11 "I choose to keep X use flags based on g.s.", but this would ask every dev to
12 log plenty of decisions manually (read: I don't think this will happen).
13
14 Second, I'm a bit frightened of Whissi's thought of dropping anything
15 security related based on non-input via g.s. -- I'd like to ask you to use the
16 information based on g.s. *not* for security related decisions, more for
17 "harmless" ones like the Matt mentioned: Should I really support feature X while
18 literally everyone of 200 users uses feature Y instead and I have no real
19 testing ground for feature X (Matt, yell at me if I got you wrong!).
20
21 Kind regards,
22 Nils (holgersson on Freenode)