From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systemd profiles
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:11:30
1 On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 09:45:23AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > A possible solution is to remove it in the next version of openrc, as
3 > it is deprecated already. Another solution is to ask the Council to
4 > let somebody apply patches if the maintainer is unresponsive, set a
5 > deadline, etc.
6
7 The problem is we have two different API's. Gentoo's API for tools that
8 do not involve booting, and OpenRC's API. In the past, they were
9 identical, but that isn't the case now.
10
11 That is why I haven't removed /etc/init.d/functions.sh. That is actually
12 part of OpenRC's public API now.
13
14 I can deprecate it. To do so, I would need to have it print out a
15 deprecation warning that would be wrong for Gentoo in the next release.
16
17 That warning would have to tell users to source
18 /lib*/rc/sh/functions.sh.
19
20 Thoughts?
21