From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:10:57
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > No sir, I was not telling a half-truth.
7 > >
8 > > If the default configuration is stored in /lib/udev/rules.d for example,
9 > > and you can override that default by dropping files of the same name in
10 > > /etc/udev/rules.d, I don't see what the concern is.
11 > >
12 > Oh, that's easy. The concern is that, as a sysadmin, I have no idea
13 > what the current configuration even is, let alone any idea that the
14 > override is even possible or how the override file is formatted. This
15 > problem is magnified for every thing that works this way multiplied
16 > again by every instance that the configuration needs to be checked or
17 > changed (because it likely needs to be looked up again because it's in
18 > a non-standard place and we humans don't remember things well if
19 > they're not a constant presence in our lives).
20 >
21 > In short: Making life easier for users is why distros even exist in
22 > the first place. This method lacks transparency and makes life harder
23 > for users.
26 I think this is a reasonable thing to ask for, I just doubt anyone will
27 volunteer to implement it.