From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] CFLAGS paragraph for the GWN
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:52:37
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Could you point me at some info on this one (-ftree-vectorize)? It came
3 > up on the amd64 list a week or so ago, when someone asked what I thought
4 > of it and why I didn't have it in my cflags (which I had just explained).
5 > I said I didn't know enough about it to make a case either way, and as
6 > such, didn't choose to use it. However, after a bit of discussion, I
7 > decided to add it to my cflags on a very experimental basis. I haven't
8 > experienced any issues with it, but then I haven't done any major
9 > compiling since then either, only the routine updates.
10 >
11 > If I had rather more info on it, therefore, particularly on why it might
12 > break stuff, I'd be able to pass it on, telling the list and in particular
13 > the guy that asked, why it's NOT a good thing to use. Thus, point me at
14 > it, if you got it. Even something as simple as a list of bugs traced to
15 > it would be useful as something I could point at, if that's what you are
16 > basing your remark on.
17
18 I can't give you reasons, but I can tell you it totally broke my x86
19 system a while back.
20
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie