From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: trimming the @system set [was: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set]
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 21:58:29
1 On 09/07/2014 17:04, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3 >> And thus, I was referring only to @system, not a stage3. I think an editor
4 >> should be in @system, but as much as I like nano, I know the ncurses
5 >> dependency won't sit well with everyone. If @system is supposed to be a
6 >> minimal-working system, a minimal vim deserves consideration. But if
7 >> ncurses is already being dragged in by something else, then stick with nano.
10 > That's the thing. I don't think that @system should be a
11 > "minimal-working system." That has been the past attitude towards it,
12 > and it causes issues.
13
14 Well, I was mainly just trying to fork() the thread to discuss the @system
15 issue in general, so the smaller issue of net-tools vs iproute2 could be
16 discussed and the bug resolved appropriately. I looked over the
17 base/packages file and that looks fine to me right now. Couple of
18 commented-out lines can probably be removed, but even on my slow MIPS
19 systems, a full stage1-stage2-stage3 run only takes about 2.5 days, so I
20 really don't have a problem with the current makeup of @system, and adding
21 iproute2 to it isn't going to really change much.
22
23 As I highlighted in the bug, only comparing netstat and ss (which is far
24 from a comprehensive analysis), they compliment each other instead of
25 replace. netstat supports older protocol families like IPX and AX.25 (some
26 HAMs using Linux still use this), plus it supports showing SCTP sockets via
27 the undocumented -S flag, as well as UDPLite. But, the SCTP support is
28 currently broken, and Fedora's patches should fix it. ss, on the other
29 hand, does not support SCTP, but does support DCCP (the other IANA
30 general-purpose protocol), which netstat doesn't.
31
32 Undoubtedly, there are other variances between the two packages. Before one
33 replaces the other, we should take a look at what each package offers, find
34 the places where they compliment each other and push whichever one has the
35 active upstream to incorporate the missing features (likely, iproute2 needs
36 to pickup UDPLite and SCTP support), then we can replace one with the other.
37
38 As for net-tools itself, I'll see if I can get Fedora's patches to apply to
39 it and update it. If not, I dunno whether to import their version as a
40 separate package or as an alternate version (net-tools-2.0?). No point in
41 ignoring it when there's obvious bugs and fixes available, even if they're
42 not from the original upstream.
45 >> As for Parallel builds, do you make make -jX? Or running concurrent emerges
46 >> in different shells? I wasn't commenting at all on parallel builds.
47 >
48 > I was referring to --jobs. The issue with @system is that you can't
49 > build packages in @system in parallel, or their dependencies. Now,
50 > I'm not sure if that extends to dependencies of virtual packages - if
51 > not then an editor isn't as much of a problem. However, you're still
52 > stuck with lots of whining by portage if you unmerge your last editor.
53 > I think we really need to reserve that for situations where you're
54 > actually likely to break something. You can unmerge and re-merge an
55 > editor without any issues at all, and there are probably lots of
56 > useful substitutes for editors that aren't in the editor virtual.
57
58 Well, I believe a stage2 in catalyst is just a remerge of @system, and
59 that's only ~12 hours on my Octane, which is perfectly fine for me. So the
60 parallelization isn't a real concern. Stage3 takes ~30hrs, though, so I'd
61 be curious to see if that parallelizes well once I get SMP working on that
62 machine.
63
64 Then again, those of us who work with slower hardware probably have a much
65 higher level of patience than others. So while the inability to parallelize
66 the @system merge isn't a concern for me, it is for others.
69 > I'm not suggesting that we rip out editor just now either. It makes
70 > more sense to just try to hold the line on @system until we have
71 > something better actually implemented (like mix-ins), and then it
72 > won't be a big deal if we trim it down further.
73
74 The editor is a total non-issue to me. I simply raised it as part of my
75 reply to branch the thread off. I am perfectly fine keeping virtual/editor
76 in @system and letting nano be the primary satisfier.
79 > To cut down on replies - the reason nano is preferred is that it is
80 > the first package in the virtual, which is the usual rule. Of course,
81 > it was placed there deliberately since it is a simple editor with few
82 > dependencies and both the vi and emacs camps can agree that it is
83 > lousy.
84
85 The vi and emacs camps agreeing on something? Impossible!
88 Joshua Kinard
89 Gentoo/MIPS
90 kumba@g.o
91 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
92
93 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
94 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
95
96 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic