From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:23:08
1 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Put simply, the kernel's single purpose, as nothing more than a
4 > hyper-complex while loop, is to get the hardware up into a usable state and
5 > then hand off to userland, then sit and service userland's needs as called
6 > upon. The kernel should have all of the subsystems loaded into it necessary
7 > to accomplish this task. The fact that the userland, in the current
8 > ill-conceived case, cannot get itself up and running simply because /usr is
9 > on a yet-to-be-mounted partition is not a concern of the kernel's. Thus,
10 > the loading of an initramfs into the kernel to solve this issue is, in
11 > principle, a violation (and a Cthulhu-awful hack).
12 >
13 > Maybe I'm just a old codger who refuses to accept change. I'm fine with
14 > that description. I like things to remain somewhat simple, and my view of
15 > Linux, both kernel and userland, over the last few years is one of growing
16 > dismay due to the constant introduction of subsystem layer atop subsystem
17 > layer for very little gain. How much longer until we need a kernel to boot
18 > the kernel to mount the userland that mounts the userland (yo dawg)?
19
20 This a very well put argument that I find enjoyable reading. Thank you
21 Joshua.
22
23 Yours,
24 Benda