From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:13:22
1 On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:29:31 -0600 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Signing elsewhere isn't mandatory yet.
4 |
5 | Deal with it ;)
6
7 In order to deal with it, I'd also have to come up with a solution to
8 distributing keys for Gentoo developers. That's a separate issue which
9 must be addressed separately.
10
11 A wording change from "may" to "should be" is fine by me, but "must be"
12 is not, at least until we have a real signing system in place.
13
14 | > | Already pointed out that this won't fly looking forward, it
15 | > | implicitly assumes a single repository.
16 | >
17 | > Again, we can deal with that if Portage ever gets multiple repo
18 | > support. Until it does, I'm not trying to guess how it's going to
19 | > end up being implemented.
20 |
21 | *cough* PORTDIR_OVERLAY *cough*
22 |
23 | Already have multiple repo support. Assumed you meant standalone, in
24 | which case I still think you're dodging support that must be there.
25
26 Overlays override on conflicts, they don't run in parallel.
27
28 | Changing it after the fact because it wasn't design with an extra bit
29 | of forward thinking isn't something I'm incredibly game for. Yes
30 | it's extra work for you, but you're proposing the change ;)
31 |
32 | You're going for forward compatibility... this is just that.
33
34 I'm going for not making any design decisions which will preclude
35 reasonable future changes.
38 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Anti-XML, anti-newbie conspiracy)
39 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
40 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm