From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reliance upon || ( use? ( ) ) behaviour
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:38:45
1 On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:51:09 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | So with your DEPEND="|| ( tetex ptex )" case, you're saying that it
4 | is valid because the choice of tetex or ptex doesn't affect the
5 | resultant binaries? Extrapolating that, specifying link dependencies
6 | within an || construct is flat out wrong?
7
8 Yep.
9
10 | If so, it's way out of my domain so I can't really comment other than
11 | you haven't given a reason for this requirement.
12
13 The reason is that that's all Portage and the current VDB and
14 binary formats permit.
15
16 | Having said that, I'll accept it if we're strictly talking in the
17 | EAPI-0 domain as there is no way for a package manager to guarantee a
18 | safe --depclean implmentation given that raw *DEPENDs are stored in
19 | the current installed package database.
20
21 Right. Even as a >EAPI-0 requirement, the way it is now (slots
22 excluded) makes sense because it's the easiest way of guaranteeing
23 consistency of binary packages. Users should never (excluding
24 blockers, which are a different issue) be forced to uninstall a package
25 just so that a binary builds in a particular way.
28 Ciaran McCreesh
29 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
30 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
31 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/