From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kentfredric@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:09:19
1 On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:39:52 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 12 March 2012 21:27, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > And we could just use a good regex for that instead.
6 > >
7 > > Something like: [eE][aA][pP][iI] <whitespace-or-symbols> [a-z0-9-+]+
8 > >
9 > > and just require users for this to be the first thing declared in
10 > > an ebuild. Of course, this could make problems with stuff like:
11 > >
12 > > # EAPI 4 because of foobarbaz
13 > > EAPI=4
14 > >
15 > > (on the other hand, in this particular case it will fetch '4'
16 > > anyway).
17 > >
18 > > And this will work as well with:
19 > >
20 > > <eapi>15-xml</eapi>
21 > >
22 > > and
23 > >
24 > > - eapi: 15-yaml
27 > Also, remember the proposal is to read it only from the first 10-30
28 > lines of the file, and if you're *generating* YAML/XML , then this is
29 > not necessarily guaranteed.
30 >
31 > Some generation tools emit keys in alphanumeric ordering, others
32 > psuedo-randomly, and the EAPI declaration line in some formats could
33 > easily be on the very last line of the file.
34
35 You should ensure your tool does the right thing, I'd say. XML with DTD
36 often requires specific element order, so such a tool is simply bound
37 to fail with XML.
38
39 For yaml, it's a fair point.
42 Best regards,