From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: native multilib support in portage for eapi 7
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:40:18
1 On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 18:45 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 11:38:08 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I find the multilib eclasses and their separate multilib phase
6 > > functions
7 > > to be confusing, so I was wondering if we could discuss making
8 > > multilib
9 > > support native to portage in eapi 7 so that we can use the normal
10 > > phase
11 > > functions again?
12 >
13 > That won't help you since the in-spec support would require special
14 > phase functions anyway.
15
16 It might help with other things, though.  I think it might be hard to
17 build sufficient consensus around this, but, if we could do so, it
18 could really be a boon.
19
20 As I recently pointed out in another thread, if we had a really easy-
21 to-use, high-performing dedicated vdb feature behind "multi-ness," we
22 might realize all kinds of benefits.
23
24 For example -- of course the following are hoplessly speculative but
25 just humor me for a moment -- in a sufficiently flexible
26 implementation, concievably things like prefix and crossdev could be
27 normalized as, respectively, user-configurable "EPREFIX" and "target"
28 "multi-" dimensions.
29
30 Not saying they should be, though, just making the point that the
31 concievable applications of a feature tend to correspond to the
32 feature's limitations and strengths from a practical perspective, and
33 our current multi- eclass frameworks are fairly limited in precisely
34 that way, despite being tremendously clever solutions to a very
35 difficult problem.
36
37 -gmt