From: Timo Gurr <tgurr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:25:27
1 The plan is to release an updated revision incorporating the QA fixes
2 from bug #332591 (huge thanks to Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus) for doing
3 the actual work here!)
4 Apart from that there's no real showstopper blocking a stabilization
5 of CUPS 1.4. The printing guide could need an update though, I've
6 already started working on it but my time is limited.
7 Regarding stabilization we can't respect printer drivers which are not
8 in the official tree since the few ones which are in are already hard
9 to maintain with our low manpower, see foo2zjs for example (hplip is
10 in a great shape thanks to the massive work of Daniel Pielmeier
11 (billie) and gutenprint should be fine, too).
12
13 As a general rule for upgrading to cups 1.4 when something regarding
14 local usb printers doesn't work:
15
16 1. disable kernel usblp: CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=n
17 2. delete /etc/cups
18 3. (re-)install cups 1.4 with USE="usb"
19 4. configure printer(s) from scratch via the cups webinterface
20 5. if your printer is a multifunction device, be sure you got the udev rules
21 setting the device permissions in shape so cups can access the device
22
23 If for whatever reason (broken/old printer drivers) that doesn't work
24 out there's still the way to install CUPS 1.4 with USE="-usb" to get
25 the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour back.
26
27 The printing team is suffering low manpower. We also have a bunch of
28 open bugs which are probably invalid and caused by not following the
29 "upgrade path", broken drivers, or plain misconfiguration, but you
30 can't close them without investigation to not upset our users. Not
31 responding is quite as bad, but as I said above, this is due to lack
32 of time.
33
34 Regards
35 Timo Gurr (tgurr)