From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Version management in portage
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 06:30:39
1 Ok, suppose we have something like apache which takes some time to compile and
2 where I might have made changes myself which are not included in the ebuild.
3 I wanna upgrade to a new version but the service must not be interrupted. No
4 problem so far, just compile, install and make the changes if neccessary and
5 then restart apache gracefully. But if a problem arises here I'm busted. My
6 service will be interrupted till I fix the problem (which maybe quite fast
7 but could possibly take too long) The only other option would be to reinstall
8 the old version. Even if if I had built a binary package I could still need
9 to do my own changes again.
10
11 Couldn't portage have a simple version management have builtin which installs
12 packages into their own directory instead of to /usr directly. Of course this
13 would mean to put software packages into /opt if you want to be FHS
14 compliant, as own directories for software in /usr is not allowed normally.
15
16 Btw. it says "Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under
17 the /usr hierarchy". Does that mean /usr/kde ist not FHS compliant ?
18
19 This should of course only affect daemons not normal user programs. So portage
20 would install apache in /opt/apache-1.3.23 and make a symlink from
21 /opt/apache to that directory. If you merge apache-1.3.24 then, you'd get
22 /opt/apache-1.3.24. The symlink will then link to that new directory. The old
23 apache install stays there so when you get problems, you can just switch
24 symlinks and everything works again. The old binaries could be deleted with
25 another emerge run automatically after a certain time that the administrator
26 can set.
27
28 Any opinios on this ? I think this would be great for the gentoo server
29 distribution too.
30
31 Alex
34 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
35 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
36 Benjamin Franklin