From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-portage/genlop: ChangeLog genlop-0.30.8.ebuild
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:33:43
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:42:01 -0400
5 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
8 > > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:42:08 -0700
9 > > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > > On 16:11 Wed 26 Sep , Mike Frysinger wrote:
12 > > >> On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
13 > > >>> Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>:
14 > > >>>> Thanks for the tip. I added "failed to install genlop (via dobin)" -
15 > > >>>> not sure if there is a standard way to do this, as it seems many
16 > > >>>> ebuilds just do "dobin failed", and some do "failed to install ...".
17 > > >>> It is mainly to localise which die command caused the halt. So I
18 > > know
19 > > >>> of no standard.
20 > > >> if there is just one call to die in a function, then i usually dont
21 > > bother ...
22 > > >> but if there are multiple ones (possibly nested), then it can
23 > > easily save
24 > > >> time
25 > > > Cardoe was just telling me that die messages are not that useful or
26 > > > time-saving because portage posts the line number of the failure
27 > > > already. That prompts the question, should we get rid of die messages?
28 > >
29 > > > Thanks,
30 > > > Donnie
31 > >
32 > > No. They might contain useful information. Just the line
33 > > number of the failure is just frustrating: You don't really
34 > > necessarily know what went wrong, and you have to go read the ebuild to
35 > > find out. Users might not appreciate that.
36 > > > --
37 > > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
38 > >
39 > > Regards,
40 > die "dobin failed" or something equally vague and pointless is no less
41 > or more frustrating or informative then a line number. And arguably if
42 > there's multiple statements that contain die "dobin failed" in an ebuild
43 > it can set you on the wrong path and is equally and if not more frustrating.
44 >
45 Well, I was talking about useful die messages of course. 'die "dobin
46 failed"' is the same as no die message at all. Whoever wrote
47 'dobin ... || die "dobin failed"' certainly knows more than that. 'die
48 "dobin failed"' of course might as well be omitted, but better, it
49 seems to me, is to make it same something intelligent.
50 >
51 > --
52 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
56 - --
57 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
58 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)