From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wishlist: an automated package upgrade system with fine-tunable sysadmin control
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:13:02
1 On 4/26/06, Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'd like to have the capability of being able to list some packages that should
3 > never be upgraded automatically (I realize I can do this to some degree already
4 > with portage), some others that are very unlikely to break from an automated
5 > upgrade and thus should always be upgraded automatically, and some packages
6
7 So maybe this could be satisified by allowing user-defined categories
8 of packages beyond system and world? Something like world, system,
9 fragile, non-fragile?
10
11 I think you could probably implement something like this yourself with
12 a bit of trickery with the /var/lib/portage/world list. You could
13 copy world to non-fragile, remove anything that you consider fragile
14 from it, and then do an "automatic" update with:
15
16 cp /var/lib/portage/world /var/lib/portage/world.bak
17 cp /var/lib/portage/non-fragile /var/lib/portage/world
18 emerge -DNuv world
19 cp /var/lib/portage/world.bak /var/lib/portage/world
20
21 A similar script for the fragile packages would let you update those
22 as a group, obviously using the -p and/or --ask options as you like.
23
24 Going back to -user now...
25
26 -Richard