From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 01:23:13
1 On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > No, lazy USE in this discussion is akin to installing, say, Steam.
4 > That requires a lot of packages that must be rebuilt with abi_x86_32.
5 > In such a situation, if there was something like USE="~abi_x86_32"
6 > (the ~ is just a symbol, it wouldn't have to be that exact symbol),
7 > then packages that need that USE flag would automatically use it, and
8 > those that don't need it wouldn't be built with it.
9
10 Actually, I was proposing that you'd only need USE="~abi_x86_32" if
11 you set USE="-abi_x86_32" someplace else. Adding a ~ would just
12 remove any previous settings - it wouldn't cause a use flag to be
13 turned on or off. You could have a flag like that even without lazy
14 use flag support - it could be used to cause a single package to
15 revert to its default use flags. I'm not really sure if it is a
16 terribly useful feature at all.
17
18 In my proposal you wouldn't need to do anything at all on a default
19 profile to have USE="abi_x86_32" enabled for packages that had that
20 use dependency in some other package. Just running emerge steam would
21 cause rebuilds on anything that didn't already have 32-bit support
22 which required it. You'd only need to mess with your flags if you had
23 explicitly set USE="-abi_x86_32" - which makes sense since you've now
24 given portage two contradicting directives.
25
26 Just as you don't need to do anything special to have "emerge
27 chromium" pull in libX11, you wouldn't need to do anything special to
28 have "emerge chromium" cause hwids to rebuild with USE=usb if it isn't
29 already built that way, unless you had explicitly set USE=-usb.
30
31 And of course this should be something that can be turned off, and
32 users can always run -pv to see what portage is going to do.
35 Rich