From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Can we get PIE on all SUID binaries by default, por favor?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 05:56:20
1 On Monday 23 January 2012 15:12:47 Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > 2012/1/23 Mike Gilbert:
3 > > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
4 > >> To check for PIE,
5 > >>
6 > >> readelf -h /bin/su | grep Type
7 > >>
8 > >> If it says EXEC, no PIE. If it says DYN, yes PIE.
9 > >
10 > > I'm asking "how does one enable PIE/ASLR", not how to check if it is
11 > > enabled already.
12 >
13 > - PIE should be -fPIC also for the executable, not only for the .so
14 > (has a performance impact)
15
16 not entirely sure what you're saying here. i'll clarify in general:
17 - build all code going into shared libraries with -fPIC
18 (regardless of hardening, this is Gentoo policy today)
19 - build code going into executables with -fPIE
20 (this is what hardened does, not default Gentoo systems)
21
22 you could build all code (including executables) with -fPIC, but that has
23 useless overhead compared to -fPIE. it's small but not insignificant.
24
25 > - ASLR you need "hardened" use for gcc, and the toolchain, pax kernel help
26 > too
27
28 the hardened toolchain "helps", but it is not required. ASLR is in the
29 mainline Linux kernel and iirc, enabled by default. it is already operating
30 on all shared libraries because those are PIC.
31 -mike