From: donnie berkholz <donnie.berkholz@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-dev Digest 20 May 2003 21:51:40 -0000 Issue 126
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:54:33
1
But wouldn't it make sense to have a keyword in addition to 'system'
2 and 'world', something that amounted to 'emerge world-minus-system'?
3 This would allow easy administration of running all vital packages x86
4 and all non-system packages ~x86, for those of us who don't want to
5 destroy the system but just a few packages at a time. =)
6
7 Donnie Berkholz
8
9 gentoo-dev-digest-help@g.o wrote:

16 Subject:
17 Re: [gentoo-dev] MySQL 4 still marked
18 unstable?
21 Date:
22 10:23 AM
25 From:
26 Grant
27 Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
30 To:
31 "Thomas
32 T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
35 cc:
36 gentoo-dev@g.o

> As far as protecting ebuilds goes, I was actually

42 referring to the ability
43 > to mix keywords (i.e. x86 and ~x86) and still upgrade world in an
44 easy
45 > manner.  I think there should be two source or ebuild systems, one
46 for the
47 > base system and one for the "ports".  In this manner one can keep
48 the
49 > software up to date and yet keep the system stable.  I am thinking
50 along the
51 > lines of the freebsd ports system, but with ebuilds instead.
52
53 Clearly "-U" needs to get fixed, and I know that carpaski has plans to
54 do just that.  It's worth noting, though, that one of the great
55 strengths of Gentoo Linux is that there is _no_ separation between
56 "system" and "ports" as there is in the bsd world; all packages are
57 handled on an equal footing.  That lack of separation is one of the
58 things that makes Gentoo so useful as a metadistribution -- somebody
59 who
60 needs a custom base profile can easily create one.
61
62 -g2boojum-
63 --
64 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>