From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] KDE packages/categories and subcategories
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:50:11
1 Hi all,
2
3 KDE 2.2 is around the corner (for a long time now :-(), but it'll be here at
4 some point and should be easy enough to introduce into gentoo because we
5 already have kde-2.2_beta1.
6
7 Once that happens, we'll be able to add the latest versions of all
8 2.2-dependant kde apps, which are often enough the only versions.
9
10 In fact, since at least 95% of all kde apps are standard configure/make/make
11 install stuff, adding them would be very easy and quick. Also, dependencies
12 will be easy to track in creating ebuilds, since a working kdelibs present on
13 the system accounts for almost everyhting except gcc. (There are, of course,
14 apps which require other libs.)
15
16 Even if we don't do a massive addition of hundreds of apps, most of them will
17 be added sometime, one by one, as our user base grows.
18
19 The problem is with categories. There are many hundreds if not thousands of
20 apps registered on apps.kde.com, in 20+ categories. Obviously we can't put
21 them all into kde-apps. But eventually most of them will acquire ebuilds. So
22 I think we need to weigh sub-categories etc.
25 Possible solutions:
26
27 1. Put everything into kde-apps, as it is now.
28 Problems: as stated at beginning of post, too many ebuilds in one general
29 category.
30 Benefits: completely compatible with existing structure, makes progressive
31 adding of ebuilds easy.
32
33 2. Add just two or three kde-* categories, like we have with gnome.
34 Problems: still potentially too many programs in each category, and it is
35 unclear what these two or three new categories should be (apps.kde.com has
36 more than 20 categories, and upto 15 sub-categories for each fo those).
37 Benefits: Completely compatible with current structure. Doesn't affect
38 existing ebuilds.
39
40 3. Dismantle kde-*. Put kde-base into x11-wm (or rather x11-de), koffice into
41 app-office... This is what FreeBSD does with its ports.
42 Problems: even more uncompatible with current structure, breaks existing
43 categories.
44 Benefits: may be the best solution without creating many new categories.
45
46 4. Create second-level categories, i.e. kde-apps/office, kde-apps/sound...
47 Problems: uncompatible with current structure, duplication of categories
48 (kind of like FHS - /usr, /usr/local...) which, when dealing with ebuilds
49 that optionally depend on kde, is very awkward. And a user searching for e.g.
50 all cdr apps would have to check apps-cdr, kde-apps/apps-cdr,
51 gnome-apps/apps-cdr...
52 Benefits: easy to categorize and find specific apps, fewest apps in each
53 category without too many categories in the top dir.
54
55 5. Don't add the kde apps, ignore the issue for now. Concentrate on improving
56 existing ebuilds.
60 So, what do you think? Please comment!
66 Dan Armak
67 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
68 Matan, Israel