From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: what happened to /etc/init.d/hal{d,daemon,whatever} script ?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 06:19:09
1 Andrey Grozin wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Petteri R?ty wrote:
3 >> Who has been removing die statements? Is this a suggested way of action
4 >> somewhere by someone?
5 > As recently discussed on the list, econf dies by itself, and || die
6 > should better be removed after econf. The same is true for, e.g.,
7 > eqmake4. It was discussed (don't have a reference to the thread at hand)
8 > that it would be useful to have a table which shows which functions die
9 > by themselves, and which not.
10 >
11 > Andrey
14 I see this asked every X months and never quite figured out why, (this
15 isn't personal against you, Andrey)
16
17 %% pwd
18 /usr/lib/portage/bin
19 %% grep -l die *
20 ebuild.sh
21 etc-update
22 isolated-functions.sh
23 misc-functions.sh
24 repoman
25
26 So, that means that none of these die:
27 %% ls do*
28 dobin* dodoc* dohard* doinitd* dolib.a* domo* dosed*
29 doconfd* doenvd* dohtml* doins* dolib.so* donewins@ dosym*
30 dodir* doexe* doinfo* dolib* doman* dosbin*
31
32 or
33
34 %% ls new*
35 newbin* newdoc* newexe* newins* newlib.so* newsbin*
36 newconfd* newenvd* newinitd* newlib.a* newman*
37
38 etc.
39
40 Take a look for yourself and you will see why there has never been a
41 "table" or anything created. (it is trivial - and you have the source on
42 your computer already)
43
44 Maybe this should be a question asked on the new dev quizies.."How do I
45 tell if something dies on its own or not?"
46
47 HTH,
48 Jeremy