From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kerberos, virtuals, rattling cages
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 02:49:01
1 On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > (I really don't have time to actively participate on this list right
3 > now, but I believe that if I bring it up on b.g.o, I'll be directed
4 > here, so...)
5 >
6 > So I'm playing with net-fs/samba-4.0.3, AD and kerberos, and tried to
7 > enable kerberos system-wide on my server.
8 >
9 > No joy, as net-fs/nfs-utils has an explicit dependency on
10 > app-crypt/mit-krb5 (bug 231936) and net-fs/samba-4.0.3 depends on
11 > app-crypt/heimdal (for reasons noted in bug 195703, comment 25).
12
13 I'm not familiar with anyone using Kerberos on Gentoo. I use it on
14 Ubuntu; but we do not use it with Samba (or at least, if we do, I am
15 not aware of it.)
18 > Questions:
19 >
20 > 1) If upstream isn't going to support mit-krb5, then use of samba-4.0.3
21 > and kerberos demands that things with explicit dependencies on mit-krb5
22 > either be fixed or not used at all.
23
24 I'm fairly sure samba supports either kerberos implementation; is
25 there something that makes you think differently?
28 > I'm the first activity on bug 231936 in two years...could someone please
29 > look into that one?
30 >
31 > 2) Is it possible to slot mit-krb5 and heimdal instead of pulling them
32 > through a virtual? My suspicion is "no", but I don't know enough about
33 > kerberos to say whether or not it would work, even as a hack.
36 I'm not following you here. 'slot' means a very specific thing. You
37 are not actually suggesting we use SLOT, you simply want both versions
38 of the library to be installed in one ROOT?
39
40 I would not advocate this approach. You should strive to have only one
41 kerberos implementation on a given machine.
42
43 > I'm sure explicit dependencies on mit-krb5 and heimdal will continue to
44 > crop up, so (and forgive the nausea this might cause) it might help to
45 > slot mit and heimdal, and have virtual/krb5 depend on the presence of at
46 > least one.
49 It is likely that explicit dependencies are wrong, and are just bugs.
50
51 -A