From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:58:16
1 Il giorno gio, 18/08/2011 alle 11.15 +0200, Thomas Sachau ha scritto:
2 >
3 > The argument about dropped tarballs, once the ebuilds gets removed
4 > might weight a bit more, but you
5 > cannot depend on other upstream keeping their tarballs around forever,
6 > so i see no requirement for
7 > us preserving only specific tarballs (those created by our devs),
8 > while upstream tarballs could
9 > already be gone and are not preserved, once the ebuild for it is gone.
10
11 Perfect is the enemy of good.
12
13 _Most_ upstream projects keep tarballs available of all historic
14 releases; okay maybe not _all_ projects, but most, especially those
15 using services such as SourceForge, Google Code, RubyForge,
16 Rubygems, ...
17
18 For _our_ projects, snapshots, or packages, let's try to apply a sane
19 policy. And that starts by not arguing that we shouldn't be doing so
20 because others might not be doing so themselves.
21
22 Heck, let's try to look up for the projects doing things right, not
23 justify our failures with those doing things wrong.
26 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
27 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/