From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: "Herbert U.Hübner" <herbert-u-.huebner@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage - Question for Enhancement
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:47:16
1 Herbert U.Hübner wrote:
2 > Dear Developers,
3 >
4 > yesterday I downloaded the gentoo iso image stage3, burned it and installed it.
5 > I am amazed of the speed and the well done package management. While, getting
6 > certain packages compiled and installed I read the various manuals pertaining
7 > to portage.
8 >
9 > However, either I am missing something or I did not find it. Therefore this
10 > question:
11 >
12 > On RH systems I do have the RPM package manager that allows me to retrieve a list
13 > of all the packages currently installed on a system with the command
14 >
15 > # rpm -qa
16 >
17 > and based on this to write an ordinary script that sorts the list in alphabetic
18 > order and writes it to a text file:
19 >
20 > # rpm -qa | sort > /root/installed.txt
21 >
22 > Is there a function like this in portage and/or could such function be added?
23
24 I'm an former redhatoid user and I'm used with the rpm tool.
25 For people like us there is a program called "epm" (emerge epm)
26 which behaves like rpm (at least for querying).
27
28 # epm -qa | grep office
29 koffice-1.2_beta2
30 # epm -ql koffice-1.2_beta2
31 <... list of files ...>
32
33 Also there is a program called qpkg
34 wich has another interface and a more colorful output
35 specific to gentoo. It is in the "gentoolkit" package.
36
37 Marko