From: John Allen <john.allen@××××××.ie>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [leitner@fefe.de: Why make(1) sucks]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:55:07
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 >Hi All,
4 >
5 >Thought some people may be interested in this email from the dietlibc
6 >mailing list. This is one of the reasons we don't use "make" for our
7 >ports system.
8 >
9 >----- Forwarded message from Felix von Leitner <leitner@××××.de> -----
10 >
11 >To: dietlibc@××××.de
12 >Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:45:47 +0200
13 >From: Felix von Leitner <leitner@××××.de>
14 >Subject: Why make(1) sucks
15 >
16 snipped
19 >I checked in that script as contrib/static.pl. It will write the new
20 >Makefile to sMakefile. I expected a noticeable performance increase in
21 >make after the first part was done (remove wildcard and patsubst), but
22 >the pause increased to 7.5 seconds on my Athlon 900. Huh?
23 >
24 snipped
27 >So I did an strace and found out that every occurrance of $(OBJDIR)
28 >prompted make to recalculate $(ARCH), i.e. run uname and sed!
29 >
30 This is obviously a problem with GNU Make, and can be fixed.
33 >Now that I see why make sucks, I'm working on a solution. The obvious
34 >solution is to simply run make again setting MYARCH to something. When
35 >I do that with the static dependencies, make takes 0.08 seconds to
36 >notice that it does not have to do anything.
37 >
38 >Felix
39 >