From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:12:26
1 On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:49:48 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On 06-08-2012 13:37:55 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
7 > >> > Also, I'm not so sure if this will work correctly for Prefix.
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm sure that is easily checked and we will get feedback quickly.
10 > >
11 > > I'm sure systemd/udev will never run in (a) Prefix, so perhaps it is
12 > > more sensical not to pseudo-provide support for it.
15 > I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. Right now openrc
16 > doesn't work on Prefix but there is a SoC project to change that. Why
17 > wouldn't we assume that somebody will do the same for systemd?
18 > Obviously the long-term future of systemd/openrc/alternatives is
19 > unclear now, but that just seems to be all the more reason to keep our
20 > options open.
21 >
22 > I'm not suggesting that we fully build-in support for systemd under
23 > Prefix and so on, but rather I'm suggesting that if leaving it open as
24 > an option now saves us a lot of rework later we should consider it.
25 >
26 > (And yes, I realize that systemd is currently linux-only and why that
27 > would make any use under Prefix difficult.)
28
29 There are Linux prefixes too, aren't there?
30
31 I see one use for Prefix systemd unit files currently: when host runs
32 systemd, and user uses (symlinks) the Gentoo Prefix init files to start
33 prefixed services on the host.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny