From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP for review: mix-in profiles
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 17:18:21
1 On 23/01/2017 13:12, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > For example, if you allow use.mask or use.force in mixins, you can end
3 > up having unsatisfiable deps that repoman will never catch.
4
5 Whoa, that sounds bad. Could you elaborate why we wouldn't be able to
6 catch these errors?
7
8 > Arguably, desktop profiles relying on having an useflag forced on a
9 > given package are already semi-broken: they'd be better with the
10 > useflag default enabled and proper usedeps, so the mask/force game
11 > doesnt seem really useful for mixins.
12
13 Could you give examples of such assumptions? I'd agree in general
14 usedeps sound like the proper solution.
15
16 > It'd also be great to have "rules" ensuring all mixins commute, but I
17 > doubt that's easily doable.
18
19 Could you elaborate more on that, and what the difficulties are?
20
21 Michał: also consider including in the GLEP how eselect profile would
22 look like and behave.
23
24 Paweł