From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:03:05
1 On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > That's not to say that gentoo-sources shouldn't follow the regular
3 > overall stabilization policies, but focusing on the kernel as the
4 > impetus for adjusting the stabilization policy or pointing out what's
5 > wrong with the policy as a whole seems to be a bad use-case for this
6 > discussion.
7
8 ++
9
10 I track ~arch on a few packages and few get anywhere near the kernel
11 in terms of update frequency. The ones that do are usually little
12 niche utilities that cause little issue if they break (calibre,
13 youtube-dl, etc).
14
15 The kernel also benefits from an unusually robust quality system
16 outside of Gentoo. I'm not saying that this is the only project that
17 has strong quality upstream, but few packages that update so often do.
18
19 That said, kernel updates are not without issue either. There are
20 certainly have been changes in behavior that impact other system deps
21 in the past. So if for whatever reason we do stabilize kernels more
22 often we'll have to make sure the kernel team is extra vigilant for
23 these kinds of changes and that they coordinate accordingly (the fact
24 that ~arch doesn't break often suggests that this is likely already
25 happening).
26
27 Rich