From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing doc use flag on gtk-doc packages to gtk-doc-rebuild or something else
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 00:46:43
1 Mart Raudsepp kirjoitti:
2 > On P, 2008-10-05 at 20:34 +0200, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> Rémi Cardona schrieb:
4 >>> Thomas Sachau a écrit :
5 >>>> Why not do both (rebuild and install) with the doc useflag and none of
6 >>>> both, if it is not set? Imho
7 >>>> the doc flag is for control of installation for (additional) docs, the
8 >>>> way it is used for gtk-doc is
9 >>>> surely confusing.
10 >>>>
11 >>> Building gtk-doc documentation pulls in a lot of deps. Installing it
12 >>> requires only some disk-space. For a full Gnome system, I only have 96M
13 >>> of docs.
14 >>>
15 >>> As for rebuilding docs, one of the advantage is to correctly crosslink
16 >>> docs for tools such as dev-util/devhelp.
17 >>>
18 >>> If anyone is _that_ short on diskspace, we'll gladly take patches :)
19 >>>
20 >>> Cheers
21 >>>
22 >>> Rémi
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >> Did i say something about disk space? I say, you are using the doc use flag in a way that is not
26 >> expected.
27 >
28 > The doc USE flag is typically used when it means additional
29 > dependencies, noticeable build time increase or extra downloads. For all
30 > the GNOME packages the former two apply for USE=doc because it requires
31 > a hefty dependency list for doc generation and a long documentation
32 > regeneration time.
33 > The tradition is to always install documentation that is already
34 > available. That is what we do. Those that want extra benefits of waiting
35 > on the doc building to get better doc hyperlinking and such, can do so
36 > with USE=doc, which is expected to take a longer time to build.
39 With USE="doc" the GNOME packages behave like what you expect but it's
40 the USE="-doc" case that's in question here. With USE="-doc" you don't
41 get any use flags installed normally and if it's in the tarball and is
42 always installed then there is no doc in IUSE either. Global use flags
43 should behave about the same for both on and off cases.
44
45 Regards,
46 Petteri