From: Thomas Cort <linuxgeek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:17:07
1 On 10/4/06, Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > People come and go, I still see Gentoo going forward, packages still get
4 > updated, work gets done
5
6 The number of opened bugs has always been higher than the number of
7 closed bugs in the bug stats listed in every 2006 GWN. How is this
8 'going forward'? It seems to me like we are falling behind.
9
10 > > - Cut the number of packages in half (put the removed ebuilds in
11 > > community run overlays)
12 >
13 > Who decides what goes away and what now? Which criteria is used here?
14
15 Duplicate packages (we don't need more than a few mp3 players),
16 unpopular packages with only a few users, unmaintained packages, and
17 broken packages. We would provide a set of packages for most things a
18 user would want to do and then sunrise/someone else provides ebuilds
19 for the rest. I was thinking something similar to what Ubuntu does,
20 they provide the basics to do most things and then they have universe
21 and multiverse repos for extra stuff.
22
23 > > - Formal approval process (or at least strict criteria) for adding
24 > > new packages
25 >
26 > Err what? So I, as a dev, that did quizzes, etc., cannot even anymore
27 > just add the package that has got my fancy atm, because there are some
28 > criteria to what is added and what not, and I have to go through a
29 > bureaucratic process just for that? Never!
30 > If for strict criteria you mean "there must be at least a dev or herd
31 > maintaining it", or such stuff, they already exist, they may just need
32 > some more enforcing... ;)
33
34 I believe that we have too many packages for us to maintain. We have
35 over 11,000 packages (over 24,000 ebuilds) and only about 175 active
36 developers. I don't think its maintainable and I don't think adding
37 more packages will make it any better.
38
39 > > - Make every dev a member of at least 1 arch team
40 >
41 > Which doesn't mean he will ever keyword stuff stable, other than his
42 > own, which he already can... Let's face it: most devs are mainly
43 > interested in their stuff, getting their stuff keyworded, and many
44 > wouldn't anyway have the time to efficiently work on an arch-team, as
45 > members of such I mean, not just as "I'm a member, so I keyword my
46 > stuff, that's it"... For that I agree with the current practice: if you
47 > want that, ask the arch-team first. ;)
48
49 Every developer should have access to at least 1 Gentoo system. They
50 should also be able to determine if something is stable or not. It
51 would cut down on the number of keyword/stable bugs if developers did
52 a lot of their own keywording.
53
54 > > - Double the number of developers with aggressive recruiting
55 >
56 > That's something that goes on since... forever! Gentoo's continuously
57 > recruiting new people, more aggressive recruiting has already been
58 > proposed many times, but it was always agreed to try to maintain a
59 > relatively high standard of new recruits, and if you want quality,
60 > finding loads of people who "just happen" to have the time and
61 > dedication to become a Gentoo dev isn't that easy.
62
63 Even when someone is found it is hard for them to find mentors. We
64 need to improve this. I had found someone who wanted to join the sound
65 team and I was unable to locate a mentor for him (I wasn't a dev for 6
66 months then, so I couldn't do it myself). I e-mailed sound@g.o and
67 only one person offered. The person who offered fell through because
68 he didn't have enough free time.
69
70 > > - No competing projects
71 >
72 > Kills innovation... Who comes first has total monopoly of that branch of
73 > things basically... I'd never agree to something like this, personally.
74
75 What happened to working together? Should we work together instead of
76 competing against each other?
77
78 > > - Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
79 > > ppc32/64, sparc, and x86
80 >
81 > Uhhh is this real? How would this help at all?
82
83 We've got tons of keywording/stable bugs. There aren't enough
84 developers to do all the proper testing on all of the architectures
85 supported by Gentoo. Many of the arches are dead or soon to be dead
86 (m68k, alpha, mips, etc).
87
88 > > - Reduce the number of projects by eliminating the dead, weak,
89 > > understaffed, and unnecessary projects
90 >
91 > Again, who's the judge of that? If there is a project with at least one
92 > person active, it means for him it's not unnecessary... What means weak
93 > project? What's unnecessary? Sure, kill the dead ones with no activity
94 > and no active members, that's easy and I agree with that, but the other,
95 > little ones, who's the one to say "you're understaffed and useless, go
96 > die!"? :S
97
98 We come up with a list of potential cuts and then the council decides
99 --
100 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list