From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting 19 April 2010
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:47:54
1 On 04/09/2010 05:51 PM, Dror Levin wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 21:05, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> So all I'm asking is to do your job and make decisions on issues that
5 >>> affect all of Gentoo. The issues I brought up are wider than a single
6 >>> individual project.
7 >>
8 >> And almost 100% of the time this needs to run through a GLEP, which is
9 >> the case here. Then the council will do all the things you've pasted
10 >> from GLEP 39
11 >
12 > I thought the council was a body that should be capable of action, not
13 > merely one that gives a stamp of approval for stuff other people do.
14 > Was I wrong?
15 >
16
17 It's capable of action if the members want to take it.
18
19 > Reading all your manifestos from the elections shows you all had
20 > things you wanted to do, things you wanted to change (git migration,
21 > forming a group of experts to discuss technical issues, QA
22 > propagation, just to name a few). Where did all that go to? If all the
23 > council is currently able to do is get everybody involved in
24 > bureaucracy (e.g. writing GLEPs for centralizing documentation instead
25 > of putting a page full of links) just so it could meet once a month to
26 > decide on bugzilla resolutions, then something is wrong.
27 >
28
29 Let's see my manifesto:
30 - EAPIs: council is not the blocker
31 - Meetings: there will be a web application most likely in GSoC
32
33 > All council members not only volunteered for that position, but also
34 > had other people voting for them. Didn't you do that so you could have
35 > a larger influence? So you could make Gentoo better? How do you plan
36 > to achieve that if you just wait for other people to do it? I don't
37 > see why there is such strong opposition by your side to actually do
38 > something, after all, that's what you're there for.
39 >
40
41 I said in my manifesto that Gentoo is not my first priority so you get
42 what you vote for :)
43
44 >
45 > Ben raised some very painful issues which hurt Gentoo daily but are
46 > not being addressed for a long time. The way I see it, the council's
47 > job is to lead Gentoo, and that includes things that individual
48 > members may not find interesting. These are global issues which are
49 > under the council's responsibility. Gentoo's best interest should be
50 > in mind, not personal interests, and so the council should strive to
51 > achieve all those things so that Gentoo may benefit from it. That's
52 > what leadership is, and that's what your job is.
53 >
54
55 Many of the points Ben raised are doable by any single developer who
56 wants to do the work. Just show up with the code/patches.
57
58 >
59 > Let's take redesigning the homepage as an example. Our website has the
60 > same design since at least 2002, and to users it looks dead. This is
61 > seriously hurting Gentoo, and its inability to fix the situation has
62 > become a laughing stock. Clearly, Gentoo as a whole suffers and it's
63 > the council's responsibility to address this issue. Now, I'm not
64 > saying that council members should sit around all day playing with
65 > CSS, but this issue should be one of their top priorities. Maybe ask
66 > for users to help, reward a volunteer to do it with funds from the
67 > foundation, heck maybe even pay some company to do it, but just do
68 > something, even though you may not think dealing with this is
69 > interesting, but a response like "if you want it then work on it and
70 > make it happen" is unacceptable.
71 >
72
73 Just petition the trustees to spend money on it. I guess Debian is dying
74 too then:
75 http://web.archive.org/web/20020124014701/http://www.debian.org/
76
77 Regards,