From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 16:16:33
1 On 08/07/2016 08:32 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 08:24:51 -0500
3 > james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
7 >> disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
8 >> months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want
9 >> it to be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus,
10 >> commonly needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a
11 >> firewall)?
12 >
13 > I for one miss the days where Stage-1 was the defacto install, and
14 > Stage-3 was "For lazy people who just wanted to use something".
15 >
16 > When we transitioned to making Stage 3 the default, it was like, heresy.
17 >
18 > Stage 4? :)
19 >
20 > I highly encourage people to randomly hurt themselves by attempting an
21 > unsupported Stage 1 install, just to find what breaks.
22 >
23 >> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
24 >> teaching and promoting. I agree
25 >> with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
26 >> but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
27 >> world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
28 >> There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
29 >> java.
30 >
31 > "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
32 > the quality and type of the education provider.
33 >
34 > Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
35 > predominantly on C.
36
37 Sure, I agree here, but, statistically these "hi level" languages are
38 being taught, in lieu of C; and that is really sad. I'm sure there are
39 exceptions, would you have a few CS departments that push C over java
40 and the other, newer languages? (I'm curios).
44 > You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.
47 > The rest of your response kinda rotates around a central axiom that
48 > makes other Linux distributions effective, and "Easy":
49 >
50 > The lack of choice, a tailored work flow, a target audience, and a
51 > narrow focus on what the vendor delivers.
52 >
53 > Gentoo is fundamentally unlike these things, because the Gentoo way has
54 > always been first and foremost about *user choice* and *maximising user
55 > choice*
56
57 Noting in promoting an easy install semantic for a default, buildable
58 system, precludes choice after the system is installed and boot. For
59 examle a default install, using Calamares and ending up with KDE, could
60 easily then have kde removed and lxqt installed. That would be up to the
61 new user to figure out, via the handbook and the wiki....
64 > The reality is a giant hunk of the world are *not interested in choice*
65 > They want something that works and get out of their way.
66
67 Quite true, but we're talking about increasing gentoo's update amongst
68 those linux leaners, not converting windows/mac users that are not
69 interested in alternatives....
72 > That's why proprietary systems with deep, vertical architecture and
73 > product lock-in are still incredibly popular.
74 > They understand their market, and they focus on making things work for
75 > that market by tailoring it to a very narrow set of features that
76 > satisfies 95% of its target.
77
78 Support is always a crowd pleaser, imho. So with fresh ideas, the newest
79 members support those right behind them in line with user level issues.
80 Noobs helping noobs. buntu has proven this works, if nothing else.
83 > Gentoo's target audience is decidedly that other 5%, the group of
84 > people who don't mind getting their hands dirty, the group who wade up
85 > to their elbows dealing with horrible problems because that's the
86 > consequence of the power of choice.
87
88 What I proposed, models for easier install and a VM/Container system
89 that is secure and allow for experimentation with "jentoo" does not
90 limit, but, encourage choice and experimentation.
91
92 Let's focus on the easy install. Once folks get a running gentoo system,
93 most figure out how to manage it and like the choices, build from
94 sources (and bin packages for the larger/complex).
97 > You can promote pre-boxed Gentoo products if you want, I just think
98 > you're barking up the wrong tree if you think doing that will help
99 > anybody.
100
101 You are misconstruing the message. It's a boxed, quick install that
102 would behave going forward, with the same (exact) semantics as a
103 grudge-filled traditional install. The only difference is that first
104 install is
105 quick, fast and easy. Nothing else changes, unless this fresh install
106 chooses to embrace additional packaging or alternative packages compare
107 to the default install. Nobody needs to make that decision. Surely many
108 will then go read the handbook and the wiki to move forward.
109 The install just becomes painless for a few basic or default examples.
110 We do currently provide an occasional 'liveDVD'. So just image one of
111 those, with an easy install pathway.
114 > As with most open source, it requires volunteer effort to make this
115 > happen, and its a hard sell to try to convince existing staff to spend
116 > more time on producing a thing that exists only to *reduce* user choice
117 > for the sake of convenience.
118
119 Again, you are incorrectly suggesting that these easy installs will
120 preclude traditional gentoo semantics for adding, modifying, patching,
121 or any other form of currently available modifications or enhancement
122 from occurring. I'm not certain if you are twisting the focus here
123 intentionally, or you are just limited in your imagination? Nobody wants
124 that (artificial) limitation, so why would it me the semantic going
125 forward, after an easy install?
126
127 Think of it like sex. All of the traditional would be wonderfully
128 available, but we're just adding a quickie (install) as an extra option.
129 No limitations, just *choice* on the install.
133 > And I just think most of our devs have more interesting problems to
134 > solve than that, and you'd be simply weakening the core Gentoo
135 > development team by trying to steal existing Gentoo staff to engineer
136 > this carefully designed and polished "Just Works For Noobs" platform.
137
138 Agreed. My idea is some encouragement and maybe receive a little bit of
139 positive advise. The noobs will help the noobs, and a few will migrate
140 down the maintainer--> dev pathway.
141
142 On this list and elsewhere gentoo devs have admitted to using quickie
143 installs, and liked it. It's just frowned upon to document it and
144 encourage it. Like a wiki page on how to convert a calculate or sabayon
145 install to a traditional gentoo system.
146 >
147 > And even then, I think if you did OK, it would be striving for the
148 > wrong thing.
149
150 An easy install, does not have to be detrimental. Over the years I have
151 taught quite a few 'youngsters' how to drive on rural flat land in a big
152 4x4 with an automatic transmission and a booster seat. You just put the
153 transfer case into low, and they cannot go very fast and the love the
154 *power*, spinning tires and slinging mud and riding around. Later on in
155 life they all have matured into productive adults.
156
157 Face it, gentoo is a power trip, we all know that. Letting folks feel
158 that, in a easy, but real, quick install default version, that
159 eventually hooks them into gentoo.
163 > If you're going to come to a competition that has existing major
164 > players ( such as the "noob friendly" linux desktop market ), you have
165 > to not be simply a "me too!" in order to hope for success.
166
167 The power of Gentoo-traditional awaits them, soon after reading and
168 learning from the handbook and the wiki. Not all will use this, but,
169 it sure would put a more attractive face on taking gentoo for a test drive.
172 > You have to have something unique that blows all the competition out of
173 > the water in at least one way, that capitalises on an un-tapped need.
174 >
175 > Anything else will just be some pathetic copy-cat attempt.
176 >
177 > And for Gentoo, our "Unique Edge" *is* our configurability, our
178 > incredibly effective and convenient flexibility.
179
180 Again, nothing in this idea inhibits the full power of gentoo from being
181 available; nothing. The begging of (their) journey is easier and
182 more appealing. Many will stay in the valley of the noobs, but other
183 will turn to the handbook and the wiki; just as grasshopper became
184 shaolin, imho. Monk my words.....
188 > Sacrificing our primary benefit to chase after some other market
189 > half-assedly ... I can't see that panning out well myself.
190
191 You keep with this false choice, that is non-sequitur. The only limiting
192 here is your mind.
196 > Personally, I think we need to double down on what we're good at,
197 > flexibility, and configurability.
198
199 No arguments there. Putting an experimental for of gentoo, complete with
200 questionable java, into a secure Gentoo hosted VM or Container,
201 is not flexibility and configurability?
205 > Find ways of building systems at the users behest that do exactly what
206 > they want easily, and not assume we know what is best for our users.
207
208 You should go to any of the progressive job boards (stackoverflow etc).
209 Java is everywhere. It should not be mandated but a choice. Sincere the
210 are numerous issues java, secure it via a VM or a container, if that can
211 be done?
216 > Anything else and Gentoo will go in the direction of the sad sorry
217 > state of the Linux Desktop, where neither GTK/Gnome or QT/KDE are very
218 > useable anymore, and they've become encumbered with horribly lethargic
219 > and bloated design, because they were all trying too hard to chase what
220 > they thought people wanted, the standard established by Windows and OSX
221 > for "Easy".
222 >
223 Agreed and that is not what I'm proposing, either. I'm proposing an easy
224 install for a few types of basic systems (that choice is open to
225 discussion). And, if possible, a way to put either a secure VM or a
226 secure container on a hardened gentoo system to put an
227 insecure/experimental form of jentoo into.
228
229 No one but you is talking about any limitations.
232 hth,
233 James