From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:09:03
1 Currently, things assigned to maintainer-wanted get the following
2 keywords (bugzilla, not ebuild):
3
4 * EBUILD if an ebuild is attached
5 * REQUEST if an ebuild is requested
6
7 I've been going through the EBUILD list at random and providing lists of
8 things that need to be fixed before the ebuild can be considered for
9 inclusion. The WONTFIX resolution along with a comment asking for the
10 submitter to reopen with a fixed ebuild is used when problems are found.
11
12 Note that I'm being pretty strict about quoting, style etc, partly
13 because one easy way of improving tree QA is by making sure that new
14 entries are of a high standard and partly because it would be nice for
15 herds to be able to get a perfect, probably no changes needed ebuild.
16 Sure, some of the existing tree is far from ideal, but that's no excuse
17 for adding new shoddy things.
18
19 What I'd like is a new keyword (bugzilla, not ebuild) for indicating
20 that a developer has done a check on an ebuild and is satisfied that
21 the ebuild is fine from a style perspective. This does **not** mean
22 that the developer has tried to actually merge the package. There're
23 all kinds of things for which I can say "the ebuild looks good", but
24 not so many for which I can say "the ebuild looks good and installs
25 something that works", since a lot of them have insanely long
26 dependency lists or specific hardware requirements. Can anyone suggest
27 a name? Best I can come up with is STYLE_CHECKED(nickname)...
28
29 Hopefully it will reduce herd loads significantly if it can be ensured
30 that they're only sent high quality ebuilds...
33 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
34 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
35 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm