From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PCMCIA build-ix86-1.0_rc6-r11.iso
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 05:03:08
1 On Saturday 17 November 2001 01:18, you wrote:
2 > Hello dev's,
3 >
4 > While playing around with the latest build iso I noticed that the pcmcia
5 > config for lucent/orinoco based wireless network cards is not quite right.
6 > In /etc/pcmcia/config the entry Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
7 > incorrectly binds to "wvlan_cs". It should actually bind to "orinoco_cs" as
8 > this is 1) The most up to date driver and 2) it is now part of the 2.4
9 > kernel. Oh, and 3) wvlan_cs just doesn't work. If anyone with wireless gear
10 > can confirm my findings that would be great.
11 Well, I agree/confirm that wvlan_cs doesn't work, and is old and
12 unmaintained, or not really maintained. And you're right about orinoco_cs.
13 BTW FYI there's a very nice driver called prism2 (not prism2_cs, that's
14 different) that can turn a wireless card into an AP :-) and despite its name,
15 it does support pcmcia_cs.
19 Dan Armak
20 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
21 Matan, Israel