From: lxnay@××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] better support for binary packages
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:47:30
1 On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
5 >> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
7 >>>> This is what I am doing in Sabayon, creating a new layer over Portage =>
8 >>>> Entropy. I'm almost done, just need to work out some documentation and
9 >>>> apidocs.
10 >>>> http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=entropy.git;a=summary
11 >>>>
12 >>> Only problem with entropy is that it doesn't work nice with portage.
13 >>
14 >> You are wrong. From entropy 0.95+ all works fine, the only problem
15 >> previous releases had was with Portage world file being filled
16 >> incorrectly (emaint --fix world does it, but I am sure you know this).
17 >> http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=entropy.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=portage
18 >
19 > That's funny, as I just installed Sabayon 4.1 KDE version the other day,
20 > and did an equo world update. After that I wanted to install quassel,
21 > but as the version in equo is ancient, I went for emerge. That wanted to
22 > install qt-core and some other qt packages, which obviously were already
23 > installed as deps for KDE. The emerge failed with a file collision of
24 > qt-core (the newly emerged package with the previous binary package).
25
26 This is gentoo-dev and you are OFF TOPIC.
27
28 Btw, that's weird, because on 4.1 I have:
29
30 mars / # qlist -ICv | grep qt-
31 x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b
32 x11-libs/qt-4.5.0
33 x11-libs/qt-assistant-4.5.0
34 x11-libs/qt-core-4.5.0
35 x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.5.0
36 x11-libs/qt-gui-4.5.0
37 x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.5.0
38 x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.5.0
39 x11-libs/qt-script-4.5.0
40 x11-libs/qt-sql-4.5.0
41 x11-libs/qt-svg-4.5.0
42 x11-libs/qt-test-4.5.0
43 x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.5.0
44 x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.5.0
45
46 and emerging quassel works as expected.
49 > I then turned to the #sabayon irc channel and was told:
50 >
51 > <yngwin> ok, so you can't just mix equo and emerge?
52 > <Azerthoth> yngwin honestly you can, but you better
53 >  have a real firm grip on how both package systems work,
54 >  and be willing to brick your system
55 > <yngwin> well, i know portage, i dont know equo yet
56 > <Azerthoth> equo is preferred barring that, converting
57 >  the system to portage only, but mixing the two can be
58 >  really tricky
59 > <Azerthoth> not saying you will brick your system, just
60 >  saying that the odds increase exponentially
61
62 This is told to newbies who mess with USE flags. Since binary is a static world.
65 > I would love Sabayon to be Gentoo with binary support, that would have
66 > worked well on my laptop. But if mixing the package managers is so
67 > problematic, that's just not worth the trouble for me.
68
69 And this made me definitely wonder about this email :)
70 Next time, please post Sabayon specific stuff on our ML/com. channels.
71
72 Regards,
75 > Cheers,
76 > --
77 > Ben de Groot
78 > Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)
79 > Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison
87 Fabio Erculiani