From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:20:05
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 15:06, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > On Friday 24 March 2006 14:35, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > After reading through that fairly lengthy thread, I'm afraid that I can
4 > > no longer tell exactly what is being proposed. Who has read access?
5 > > Who has write access? Bugs are handled where, and by whom? Are we
6 > > considering a fairly tightly controlled system, or a wild free-for-all?
7 > > Exactly which problem are we proposing to solve here?
8 > >
9 > > If someone could succinctly summarize the current schools of thought,
10 > > I'd be quite indebted.
11 >
12 > As I understand it...
13 >
14 > o.g.o would be used to host developer and team based overlays that are
15 > owned an operated by existing Gentoo devs. Users would not be able to
16 > create their own overlays hosted on this system. The developer(s) who own
17 > the overlay would be able to control the granularity of access ranging from
18 > developers only, to developers plus a few trusted users, to full public ro
19 > access.
20 >
21 > As far as I read it, who handles the bugs and by what means at this point
22 > is still up in the air as there seem to be some groups that would rather
23 > handle bugs through their own mechanisims, be that IRC, e-mail, trac
24 > whathaveyou and those that would like to be able to track bugs through
25 > bugs.g.o.
26 >
27 > There is also the question of limiting the number of 'false' bug reports
28 > based uppon overlay usage, it seems that the best way to work through this
29 > is by augmenting the output of emerge --info. Things like a list of
30 > overridden eclasses in the output and the capability to add a package as an
31 > arguement to emerge --info in order to see if it is coming from an overlay
32 > seem to be good starting points.
33 >
34 > On a less technical note there is also the question of using the o.g.o
35 > frontpage as a means to point to existing repositiories of user created
36 > overlays in order to promote them.
37
38 Forgot one thing...
39
40 Even if an overlay doesn't have public access it's existance and a full
41 Changelog would be available via the o.g.o frontpage to allow interested
42 parties to contact the developer(s) who own the overlay to get involved. This
43 would allow things like the Haskell overlay the ability to keep a small list
44 of trusted contributers and promote the overlays existance to other potential
45 users and developers.
48 Daniel Ostrow
49 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
50 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}