From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:56:23
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 TL;DR: I'm looking for new people to resume work on sandbox, and I will
4 most likely branch it at v2.10 and start keep-alive work on top of that.
7 The state of our sandbox is not very well. Gentoo is currently using
8 the old v2.10 with local patches. v2.11 is p.masked for a long time
9 because of multiple unsolved bugs. The git repository also includes
10 v2.12 tag that has not even been packaged for Gentoo. From what I've
11 been able to establish, the bugs causing v2.11 mask are still present
12 in git head.
13
14 To add to this, the only person maintaining the code (vapier) has not
15 touched it since March, and AFAIA he's not responding to any contact
16 attempts from within Gentoo. Given this and the importance of sandbox to
17 Gentoo at the moment, I think it's reasonable to presume he's MIA
18 and start looking for volunteers to join the effort.
19
20 I have already added myself to the project page [1] and I'm going to try
21 to put some effort into improving the state of things. However, I'm not
22 really an expert in the high magic used in sandbox. If anyone is
23 interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself as well.
26 The above considered, I don't think I'm really going to be able to solve
27 the problems introduced by v2.11. If nobody has a better idea, I'm going
28 to branch sandbox at v2.10 and look into backporting whatever's feasible
29 and resuming development in hotfix mode on top of that.
30
31 In other words, don't expect any major developments. Only minor bugfixes
32 and whatever is necessary to keep the project semi-alive before we
33 deploy a suitable replacement.
36 By the way, if anybody is interested in a side Portage project, I've
37 added sys-apps/sydbox a few days ago and it's waiting for proper
38 integration into Portage. It's very neat but might be a bit hard to
39 figure out at first, so I can be of help with that.
42 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Sandbox
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny