From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Project Sunrise -- Proposal
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:07:44
1 Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On 6/10/06, Markus Ullmann <jokey@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 2) Not one large tree but subdirs, one per herd
4 >>
5 >> to help herds better keeping track of which parts are alive in the
6 >> overlay, each herd's ebuilds are grouped in a subdir, e.g. there will be
7 >> a netmon/ dir with net-analyzer/specialapp below it.
10 > If its unofficially part of a herd, then isn't it no longer a m-w/m-n
11 > ebuild?
12
13 I think you are right, see my answer to the threadstarter to find a solution
14 that works without subdirs.
17 > I think this is a much improved//thought out version of the proposal.
18 > From the looks of things sunrise should never make it to layman
19 > however, because as we all know, anything that makes things more
20 > easily accessible to users is going to be (mis)used by more of them.
21 > From what I understand, you see Sunrise as an overlay for users to
22 > improve their ebuilds because they are insufficient quality to be in
23 > the main tree. If they are of this poor quality, they should be no
24 > where near users hands, this doesn't make sense.
25
26 We will yet have to see if quality will be that bad. I want some more time
27 to see how the ebuild quality works out before we make it more publically
28 available.
29
30 > If on the other hand you saw sunrise as a way for more packages to be
31 > available to users due to there being a lack of maintainers, asking
32 > herds to check out ebuilds as part of the proposal seems
33 > counterproductive to the cause.
34
35 They do not have to. It is just nice to let us know that they would like to
36 see a package in sunrise.
37
38 > Maybe you should expand on the goal of the sunrise project, what
39 > exactly do you want it to do?
40 The Sunrise Project goals may change, it is not yet running long enough to
41 know about all the effects and the goals. Because of this, I cannot give
42 you an "exact" definition now, sorry.
43
44 our goals include for example:
45 - encourage users to write ebuilds
46 - get new recruits
47 - make maintainer-wanted ebuild access and development easier
48 - work with users on new ebuilds and explain them what they can do better
49
50 I think these are working out quite well currently, I hope it helps you.
51
52 Regards,
53 Stefan
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list