From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use of color
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:14:33
1 * Collins Richey (erichey2@××××.com) wrote:
2 > The shell and many of the tools on Gentoo use color which choice I find to
3 > be absolutely worthless however popular this bit of eye candy may be for
4 > others. On XFCE the default background for Terminal makes the color
5 > displays almost illegible.
6 >
7 > Could someone post instructions to find and kill the color settings, ie
8 > shell prompt, man, and any other tools that use color setting.
9
10 Hi Collins,
11
12 This kind of depends on your shell, but basically boils down to a single
13 line in an rc file.
14
15 For BASH: in ~/.bashrc, say at the bottom, add
16 export PS1="$ "
17 ( or whatever you'd like your prompt to be)
18
19 For (t)csh: in ~/.(t)cshrc add the line
20 set prompt="> "
21
22 Now if you're using sh for your shell, you may want to look at /etc/profile
23 and hack about in those conditions at the 'export PS1' lines.
24
25 You'll need to re-source those files, or relogin, or start a new XFterm to
26 see the effects.
27
28 Far as getting man to be without color (sicko), modify or create a
29 .mostrc file in ~/ and add the following lines to it:
30
31 color overstrike normal default
32 color underline normal default
33
34 Or you could just change your default environment variable PAGER from
35 'most' to 'less' (sounds like a bad idea doesn't it?).
36
37 If that's not working or whatever, most does look at your term settings
38 so, again depending on your shell, change your term variable to a term
39 type that doesn't support color and you should get shades of gray.
40
41 Now to add a counter opinion: I find the use of color in all aspects of Gentoo
42 not only tremendously refreshing but valuable. Contrast man! Thank you Gentoo
43 for introducing me to most! The inclusion of 'most' I find to be VERY
44 professional, it reminds me of how cool man pages on OBSD VT look.
45 And thank you for the color indicators in things like
46 'emerge --pretend *.ebuild'! That's the smoothest.
47
48 Woo-hoo!
49 Gontran