From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] nss_* and system users
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:19:13
1 On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 21:36 -0400, Mike Kelly wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As part of my original plans for my GLEP27 implementation, I was
5 > going to have my scripts automatically add the users requested by a
6 > package (for example, the cron user), to all the passwd backends
7 > listsed in /etc/nsswitch.conf. However, in consultation with some
8 > folks, it seems that what may be more desirable is to just add
9 > users/groups to the local files/compat backends instead, and not make
10 > any changes to the remote databases.
11 >
12 > Does anyone have any strong notion of any cases where it would be
13 > excessively bad for the package manager to try adding to, say, the
14 > nss_nis backend in addition to the nss_files backend, or cases where
15 > that would be a strongly desired behavior?
16
17 bad == many places use a ro backend for auth w/ mysql/ldap/etc
18
19 Writing to the local files would be acceptable with me. I'm sure
20 someone will come up with an objection, though.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
25 x86 Architecture Team
26 Games - Developer