From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] keywording workflow
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:56:16
1 On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:12 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > An example workflow is to:
6 Just picking this to reply to though this is more of a general comment
7 on the two recent keywords threads.
8
9 I get that this is Gentoo and we don't want to dictate how people do
10 things. However, I feel like this is an area where we'd actually
11 benefit from more direction.
12
13 It seems like we're trying to support more different workflows for
14 doing keywording/etc than we even have developers doing keywording in
15 the first place. It seems like we probably have 5 people at any time
16 doing actual arch testing but we're maintaining a lot of legacy
17 code/etc to support 487 ways of going about arch testing because we
18 don't want to upset somebody who probably doesn't actually do any arch
19 testing. At the same time, we have no idea how the 5 people doing the
20 actual work are actually doing their work, so we can't reliably ensure
21 that their workflows don't break other than by making sure that we
22 don't accidentally break any legacy behavior in any way.
23
24 What I don't want to do is start a conversation where 27 devs
25 (including myself) try to tell the people doing a lot of keywording
26 work how to do their work. What I would love to see is the people who
27 actually do keywording share how they actually go about it in
28 practice, and then maybe try to document some kind of best practice
29 around this and put it in the devmanual or in a GLEP or something.
30 Then we can give that workflow more of a first-class support in our
31 tooling and maybe worry less about others.
32
33 I know I was completely taken by surprise by the idea that most
34 keywording is done using tools these days, and that STABLEREQ isn't
35 supposed to be a thing now. Not that these are bad things, but it
36 seems to have been organic and not really formally transitioned. The
37 devmanual no longer mentions the bugzilla keywords, but it also
38 doesn't mention the bugzilla components and I didn't realize that you
39 couldn't just turn an existing bug into a stable request just by
40 adding STABLEREQ and copying arches. Obviously now I know but my
41 point is more that it seems like this whole area would benefit from
42 some kind of suggested workflow.
43
44 Heck, this thread is also the first time I think I've seen "pkgcheck
45 scan --commit" mentioned as a thing. I see that it was blogged about
46 a few months ago, but I've stopped following planet Gentoo since
47 Google reader died. Maybe we need a planet Gentoo mailing list or
48 something.
49
50 I guess my point is that there seem to be a lot of improved workflows
51 out there, and we'd probably benefit from them being pointed out a bit
52 more and mainstreamed. Those maintaining these tools would probably
53 benefit as well if more people were using them as intended and they
54 didn't have to maintain as much legacy compatibility simply because
55 many don't realize there is a better way...
58 Rich