From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc: glibc-2.14.1-r2.ebuild glibc-2.12.2.ebuild glibc-9999.ebuild glibc-2.15.ebuild glibc-2.10.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.ebuild glibc-2.13-r2.ebuild ChangeLog g
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:57:53
1 On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:00:52 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Wednesday 18 January 2012 21:42:14 Michael Weber wrote:
5 >>> Um, what happend to the policy to not f*** around with stable ebuilds?
8 I think there is a legitimate issue with changing dependencies on
9 stable ebuilds. If for whatever reason a mistake is made, you just
10 broke tons of stable systems - especially if people rebuild with -N.
11 The idea is that stuff goes through testing before it hits stable,
12 which is why we call it stable. If you change stable directly, then
13 it isn't stable. :)
16 >>> I see a violation of this rule at least on [glibc-]2.13-r4, which
17 >>> leads to useless rebuilds on `emerge -avuND world` on every single
18 >>> gentoo install world-wide.
19 >>
20 >> i don't have too much compassion for -N.  if people really care enough
21 >> about it, they'd read the ChangeLog and see that it is meaningless.
22
23 Until somebody posts a definitive list of which features we have
24 compassion on, and which ones we don't, we should have compassion on
25 anybody using standard portage features. It seems like when things go
26 wrong with somebody's box the knee-jerk reaction is to say "well, you
27 should be running daily emerge -alphabetsoup world" where alphabetsoup
28 tends to vary by individual preference. I do recall some talk a few
29 months ago about how it might not hurt to come up with a
30 best-practices suggestion for doing regular upgrades, but it hasn't
31 happened yet. I'm pretty sure -N was one of the items that was tossed
32 around as a best practice.
33
34 > I'm not going to complain much about a mere single package, glibc,
35 > triggering a -N rebuild.
36 >
37 > But I'm not going to complain about gentoo/kde doing it with 200-ish,
38 > either (way more if I had all of kde installed, I don't), for several
39 > reasons:
40 >
41 > 1) I'm not only running ~arch, I'm running the overlay.
42
43 I'm running stable amd64 and the same kde issue directly hit stable.
44 Oh, this is two days after the version bump hit stable - so that is
45 200 packages twice in two days. So, I will point out that this could
46 have been better coordinated, although the extra rebuilds are
47 harmless.
48
49 > 3) Mike's right.  The -N is simply available to give users a way to be
50 > notified of such changes if they wish to be, presumably thru use of -p or
51 > -a.  It DOESN'T mean they have to actually do the remerge, as they can
52 > either choose to ignore -N and not use it entirely, thus remaining
53 > blissfully unaware of such changes, or use it simply as notification, go
54 > look at the logs and see what the change was about, and decide based on
55 > that whether it's worth the remerge.
56
57 So, suppose I don't want to update those 200 kde packages, but I don't
58 want to ignore the odd package that does come up in -N in the future?
59 Do I just run a daily emerge -puDN world, look at the output, then
60 manually remove the 200 kde packages, and then run a
61 manually-constructed emerge -1 with a bunch of individual packages on
62 it?
63
64 Obviously I'm just going to clench my teeth and run emerge -N anyway
65 since spending 25 cpu-hours on pointless recompiles is less annoying
66 than having those packages come up anytime I want to tweak a USE flag
67 or whatever.
68
69 All that said, the kde change is harmless and while it would have been
70 better to coordinate it (or just introduce it in the next version),
71 worse things could go wrong.
72
73 I'm more concerned about the tendency to introduce flags in our
74 package manager, have them get promoted in various forums, and then
75 have people more-or-less rebuked for using them. There is no problem
76 in having flags that shouldn't be routinely used, but man pages and
77 such should clearly indicate when this is the case (as is the case
78 with --unmerge and so on). If we don't warn people not to use a flag,
79 we shouldn't punish them when they do.
80
81 Rich