From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:50:08
1 On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 09:20:03AM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > > To recap, the idea was to have a C/C++ program listen on a pipe, then have
3 > > interfaces (in the language of your choice) do things like
4 > > "echo packagename>/thatpipe" - the backend would listen and install the package.
5 >
6 > One problem with this solution is that we need a robust and feature-rich two-way
7 > communications stream. For example, your request to install "foo/bar-1.0" may be
8 > answered by a list of dependencies that must be satisfied before installation is
9 > possible, or a particular dependency that couldn't be satisfied (if it's auto-resolving
10 > dependencies), or that the particular package wasn't found in the portage database.
11 >
12 > With such a system as you describe, the Portage response would have to be placed
13 > in another file, and tying these two files into a communications stream would become
14 > tricky enough to make this a less-than-elegant, solution. IMO.
17 Well, the backend program *does* have both a stdin and stdout stream,
18 which would provide the two way communication stream you're talking
19 about. And we could also set up a socket file if necessary. Or even
20 unix sockets (but I think that would be overkill...)
21
22 Pete