From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [discussion] GitHub eclass
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:53:53
1 Hi there!
2
3 Since we have tons of ebuild (including -9999) for software, that uses
4 GitHub for sourcecode hosting — I've got an idea to write something
5 like GitHub eclass, which will ease creating of such ebuilds (by
6 providing "sugar" functions) and, (main goal for me) by adding
7 possibility to switch between forks (by redefining variables on emerge
8 run). For example (theoretical usecase):
9
10 We have, for example, lua-socket-9999, that uses:
11 GH_AUTHOR=diegonehab
12 GH_PROJECT=lua-socket
13 GH_BRANCH=unstable
14
15 So, then I fork it and provide some features. And then I want to
16 reemerge it from my fork, but I don't want to rewrite ebuild. So, then I do:
17 # GH_AUTHOR="msva" GH_BRANCH=master emerge =lua-socket-9999
18 and it repulls sources from my fork, reemerge it and installs fine.
21 Any ideas/suggestions/objections/critic? Let's discuss!
24 Best regards,
25 mva