From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [g2boojum@gentoo.org: glep 27 thoughts]
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:53:43
1 I sent the following to SpanKY a while back as my thoughts on how to
2 move GLEP 27 away from xml (which the portage devs would really rather
3 avoid). It has his tentative approval, so now I'd like to get some
4 general comments. GLEP 27 is a really good idea, and it would be nice
5 to have it implemented.
6
7 -g2boojum-
8 ----- Forwarded message from Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> -----
9
10 From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
11 Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:37:03 -0600
12 To: vapier@g.o
13 User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.6i
14 Subject: glep 27 thoughts
15
16 I've been thinking a bit about how to make uid/gid handling work w/o
17 needing xml. It seems like it ought to be simple enough to replace
18 the xml files with simple plain-text files which look like the
19 following:
20
21 # cat groups/dovecot
22 gid = 97
23
24 # cat users/dovecot
25 uid = 97
26 shell = /bin/false
27 home = /dev/null
28 groups = dovecot, foo, bar
29 gecos = Added by portage for dovecot # (normally autogenerated)
30
31 Essentially, these files would just contain the same information as what
32 one would use w/ groupadd and useradd, but w/ more readable syntax.
33
34 I'm also thinking that instead of putting these files in
35 portage/profiles/accounts, perhaps we should permit an "accounts"
36 directory in each stage of a cascading profile, thus moving the platform
37 logic (linux vs hurd vs *bsd vs whatever) from the user and group files
38 (which, in the original glep, would list info for all supported
39 platforms) to the cascading profiles (default-linux, default-bsd/fbsd,
40 etcetera).
41
42 Any of this make sense?
43
44 -g2boojum-
45 --
46 Grant Goodyear
47 Gentoo Developer
48 g2boojum@g.o
49 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
50 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76
54 ----- End forwarded message -----
57 Grant Goodyear
58 Gentoo Developer
59 g2boojum@g.o
60 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
61 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76