From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 14:06:56
1 On 07/08/2016 15:32, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 >> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
3 >> > teaching and promoting. I agree
4 >> > with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
5 >> > but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
6 >> > world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
7 >> > There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
8 >> > java.
9 > "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
10 > the quality and type of the education provider.
11 >
12 > Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
13 > predominantly on C.
14 >
15 > You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.
19 I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
20 a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.
21
22 The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
23 (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
24 business/mobile ISP.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com