From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stripping implementation in portage
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:46:01
1 First, sidenote (mild ot to this thread also), pardon the dupe posts,
2 thick fingered typing dumping an old message :)
3
4 On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:34:33PM -0400, Olivier Crete wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2005-23-08 at 11:16 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
6 > > As an aside to this. Does anyone know how debug information can be changed
7 > > to have a different basedir. My idea was to create a "custom" strip
8 > > wrapper that would create external debugging files (like now possible
9 > > with gdb/binutils) and point them to a location
10 > > in /usr/src/packagenameplusversion. For that it would be necessary to in
11 > > some way hack the source location in the debug information.
12 >
13 > There is already a patch [1] in bugzilla that does that.. And in bonus
14 > to keeping the debug files (currently in <libpath>/.debug/libname.so.dbg
15 > but that can be changed) . It can also keep the source files
16 > in /usr/src/debug so they can loaded by gdb (pretty useful when
17 > debugging into libraries).
18 >
19 > It creates 3 new features, keepdebug, keepdebugbin and keepsources
20 Would rather implement those as filters as described above; short
21 version is that features is chunked up in the rewrite, so it's options
22 on the component you're configuring moreso. That said, still will map
23 from old make.* to new format (on the fly, no forced config upgrades),
24 but I'd rather see it implemented as I've proposed.
25
26 Reasoning is that if you build with debugging crap on, you've got
27 maximal flexibility in your choice of what your binpkgs/vdb winds up
28 with.
29
30 Thoughts/yay/nays?
31 ~harring