From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc: glibc-2.14.1-r2.ebuild glibc-2.12.2.ebuild glibc-9999.ebuild glibc-2.15.ebuild glibc-2.10.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.ebuild glibc-2.13-r2.ebuild ChangeLog g
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:26:15
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc: glibc-2.14.1-r2.ebuild glibc-2.12.2.ebuild glibc-9999.ebuild glibc-2.15.ebuild glibc-2.10.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.1-r1.ebuild glibc-2.14.ebuild glibc-2.13-r2.ebuild ChangeLog g by Rich Freeman
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:49:07 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'd still like to see our handbook include a recommended workflow for
4 > keeping gentoo up-to-date. Perhaps that should include a few options
5 > with the pros/cons of each.
6
7 Agreed.
8
9 > I'd think that emerge -auDNv world would be
10 > one of those options. Perhaps another might be including build deps.
11 > One advantage of having people running a uniform update command that
12 > tends to keep everything up to date (even if not strictly necessary), is
13 > that it would cut down on the diversity of our install base. Right now
14 > a stable user could be running various versions of various libraries
15 > based on when they first merged them and whether they use -D, and so on.
16 > Keeping everybody moving along to newer versions (and more freshly
17 > compiled ones) could help to cut down on the bugs. Bugs filed with
18 > older versions still in portage would still be legitimate, but unless
19 > somebody really needs the older version there is no sense making more
20 > work for ourselves.
21
22 From what I've gathered in various list discussions, etc, people running
23 ~arch tend to like to run --deep (-D) as well. That would definitely
24 include me. They're doing both for much the same reasons -- they like to
25 be as upto date as possible. --newuse is in practice an extreme variant
26 on the same theme, people who know what they're doing choose it when they
27 want to stay as upto date as possible.
28
29 Many stable users prefer /not/ to use --deep, again, for much the same
30 reason they're using stable; they like the flexibility of gentoo, but
31 much prefer something that "just works" with as little hassle and churn
32 as possible, to chasing after the latest shiny version. Avoiding deep
33 dependency updates is preferable for them, and they rely on gentoo
34 masking and minimum dependencies on what they do update to keep things
35 working. Of course, they'll want to stay even farther away from
36 --newuse than from --deep, tho they might use it very occasionally as a
37 troubleshooting tool for a specific package only, almost certainly with
38 --pretend first, and they may not continue past that.
39
40 This second group is never going to like --deep and will stay even
41 further away from --newuse, but having a clear explanation of the
42 alternatives and the groups they apply to in the handbook, much like I
43 hope the above was, groupwise (I didn't explain the functionality), would
44 be quite helpful indeed, helping to ensure users pick the best option for
45 their needs.
46
47 Not everybody reads the handbook for anything but the initial install,
48 but that too is a handholding thing. As long as gentoo provides it,
49 users get to do what they want, and if they choose not to read the
50 handbook and end up with a broken system or in this case more likely just
51 an extremely deoptimized for their needs gentoo updating workflow, well,
52 they have the handbook available to read if they want; it's then their
53 problem.
54
55 (FWIW, I had read the handbook thru several times and was already helping
56 people with problems on the list based on what I'd read, even before I
57 had gentoo installed myself due to an issue with the then (2004) quite
58 new NPTL. I never did get 2004.0 to install properly, but whether it was
59 due to my experience with .0 or that there was a fix in 2004.1, /that/
60 installed properly, and I've been gentooing every since! =:^) I never
61 could quite figure out the folks who were making it harder for themselves
62 by not scouring that handbook to make the best use of their gentoo system
63 possible, but they're certainly out there! Meanwhile, I'm still proud of
64 the fact that I was able to help, for instance, people who lost their
65 fstab due to not being careful with etc-update (fstab was handled like
66 any other config file back then; if you selected replace with the new
67 version, that's exactly what happened!), because I'd read the after all
68 quite clear warnings on the subject, well before I got anywhere close to
69 needing that info myself, and they obviously hadn't.)
70
71 > Perhaps this is worth its own thread, as this one is already drifting
72 > way off topic.
73
74 =:^)
79 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman