From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:52:37
1 maillog: 24/03/2004-11:59:54(+0100): Paul de Vrieze types
2 > On Wednesday 24 March 2004 02:23, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > > maillog: 23/03/2004-12:16:26(-0800): david@×××××××××.com types
4 > >
5 > > > If you are not cross compiling then you could just take a stage2
6 > > > snapshot from a mirror somewhere, put it in /usr/stage2, then chroot
7 > > > to there, with a fully functional toolchain/system and build to your
8 > > > hearts desire.
9 > >
10 > > Here's a real-life example. Compiling packages on a fast desktop for a
11 > > slow laptop.
12 > >
13 > > - I don't want to link /etc/make.conf to $LAPTOP/etc/make.conf, same
14 > > going for /etc/portage/, etc, every time I compile something for the
15 > > laptop (and not forget to revert the changes)
16 > > - I don't want to chroot and build, because this takes forever
17 >
18 > Why would chroot take any much more time than not using chroot?
19
20 I didn't specify the environment entirely. The laptop has a small hard disk and
21 it has only /, /boot and a swap. The "/" is mounted over NFS on the desktop. I
22 want to be able to do (on the desktop)
23
24 ROOT=/remote/laptop emerge vim
25
26 and have vim on my laptop. However, if I chroot to /remote/laptop, I'd end up
27 making all communication over NFS and using the hard disk of the laptop for
28 compiling as well, which is not very fast. I was doing something with
29
30 mount -o bind /var/tmp/portage/ /remote/laptop/var/tmp/portage/
31
32 which speeds up things a bit, but it is still slower and too annoying to do
33 every time.
34
35 > To use the ROOT feature it is really necessary to have a root gentoo
36 > installation to have any kind of guarantee that the packages will build and
37 > run correctly. And even then there are issues regarding static libraries and
38 > -march.
41 () Georgi Georgiev () I often quote myself; it adds spice to my ()
42 () chutz@×××.net () conversation. -- G. B. Shaw ()
43 () +81(90)6266-1163 () ()
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list