From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:47:32
1 On 03/12/2012 10:30 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >> It would be very fragile without the sanity check / feedback mechanism
4 >> that's already been suggested.
5 >
6 > Another obvious check is to have repoman run a grep with the regexp
7 > and give an error if there is not exactly one match.
8
9 If we want to handle every possible screwup, including stray EAPI
10 assignments inside inherited eclasses, we still need to compare the
11 probed value to the value that's obtained from bash.
12
13 I guess you're hinting at using a non-bash ebuild format? Even if in
14 that case, the the package manager should simply use whatever
15 interpreter is appropriate for the probed EAPI. So, if EAPI 7 is a
16 posix-shell format, and the probed EAPI is 7, then the package manager
17 should source the ebuild with it's posix-shell instead of bash. If the
18 probed EAPI is not a supported EAPI, then it should skip the sourcing
19 entirely, and report the ebuild as having an unsupported EAPI.
20 --
21 Thanks,
22 Zac