From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make logrotate a global USE flag?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:42:48
1 On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:51:29 -0800
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > And any other "new" file in /etc you also want a USE flag
5 > introduced for? Sounds real scalable. Or is this just an
6 > exception from the rule?
7
8 Sure it's an exception. I make the difference beetween:
9 - usual /etc/ files: when they are new, they don't get used before
10 you start the service or whatever they are owned by. People know
11 that they should configure things before using them, and that's no
12 issue. And when they are not new, the changes get CONFIG_PROTECTed,
13 so there is no issue
14 - files in some /etc/something.d/: no issue when not new neither,
15 sure. But when they are new, they affect the existing configuration
16 of an already in use service with zero protection. It's exactly
17 like if a pkg_postinst function was doing some "cat new_chunk >>
18 /etc/something", which i sure you agree would be bad.
19
20 Another example of such issues is when i installed laptop-mode
21 tools for the first time: it messed my acpid configuration, because
22 it was adding in /etc/acpi/{events,actions}.d some handlers for
23 things i had already configured differently in my own scripts.
24
25 That's that kind of situation i would like to avoid when there are
26 simple ways to do it, and not any file installation to /etc.
29 TGL
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list